Friday, June 14, 2013

Calderón -- Little Baguio, San Juan

YES, I AM BACK!!! I am so sorry for being gone for almost two months, beacause I was swamped with school work this summer since I took advance class. It took up my whole week, and I would only have Sundays as my "rest day."

As my comeback (lol), I was invited by OpenRice Philippines (thank you so much for the invite!), to try the latest addition in Little Baguio's street of restaurants, which is Calderón. This is the newest Spanish Kitchen and Tapas Bar in the Metro! It serves authentic home-style Spanish food, tapas, sangrias, and more inside a homely, warm-lighted interior.

This night was the perfect combination of good food and good laughs! A night to remember and I'm happy that I got to spend it in Calderón!

 Calderón is the baby of Angela, Marmi and Monchet, plus Chef Rafa!
With this team-up, you can only expect to be pleased and very delighted!

The wonderful people behind Calderón
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the food was just amazing! It was more than what I expected!
Spot the pig! 

(I like their plate. Hehe.)

To start the meal we had their Sangria Calderon
Something different with their Sangrias is the fruits aren't in the bottle, but in the glass and all sliced up! This is new for me, since I'm used to seeing them all at the bottom of the bottle! So kudos to them! We tried the Red Wine Sangria, and it was sweet and fruity! The alcohol content was not too strong so, I didn't need to worry about my allergies. (Lol)

Then they served us their famous Paellas that everyone's raving about.
(Can I just say, I can't stop thinking about their Paella's)
Paella Valenciana was cooked perfectly, and that means with the tutong at the bottom, which is my favorite part! Yummy!

This is the Paella Negra. I'm not a fan of squid ink, but once I tried this, I didn't even realize it was soaked in squid ink! It was so fresh and not the usual that comes from cans. I had more of this, than the Valenciana!
*A must try!*

Next up is their Bacalao ala Vizcaina
 This is the first time I tried this, and it was so good! It's fish and it's not "malangsa" which is a winner for me! Goes well with the Paella's! I'm sure my dad wouldn enjoy this too, since it's not that salty.

Pollo Iberico (Note: order 1 day ahead)

This is one thing you have to try in Calderón!  
The chicken is slow baked until the meat can fall out of the bones! (Read: less mess and easier to eat!) I super loved the garlic and baby potatoes!
 Cangrejos ala Calderon (seasonal)
MOUTHWATERING GOOD.  
Cangrejos ala Calderon
If you love crabs and getting your hands dirty, then you'll definitely love this! (Because I know I did! Hahaha!) This was just too good. With the sweet crab meat and the sauce was perfect for the crab, yummy! I'll be coming back for this, for sure!
*A must try!*

Sopa de Ajo
Something light, but full of flavor! I suggest that you dip the bread in the soup. Goes well with the next dish!

Pasta de Chorizo
I loved it! I love the thin angel hair pasta topped with Calderon's own chorizo and the surprise is the fried egg! Perfect comfort food, especially in this rainy season.
*A must try!*

 Now, these are some things to watch out for, that made me love this place even more!
Chuleton with the side dish of sauteed vegetables and or potato gratin!
This was perfectly cooked! I couldn't get enough of the Chuleton! I really eat my meat cooked in Medium-Well while this was cooked and Medium and it was just too good! I sound like I'm rambling, because I am. I don't even know how can this meat be so good! I paired it up with the vegetables, so that I wouldn't feel so bad for enjoy this dish a little too much!

*A must try!*
Roasted Bone Marrow
  (DROOL)
This is not the usual Bone Marrow that you're used to trying, because this is just a party in your mouth! Very deadly, yes, but worth it! The combination of the marrow, garlic, cabbage and onions with the buttered bread was flawless! Props to them, because this dish is a classic!
*A must try!*

Last, but definitely not the least favorite (hardy har har)
Calderon’s Churros Con Chocolate 
What gave emphasis to the Churros other than this moist but crunchy texture is on the chocolate dip. The chocolate dip was home-made grounded chocolates with this nutty flavor. It balanced out the sweetness of the Churros. A perfect match!

Torrijas con Helado
This is not your typical French Toast! They use Ciabatta bread and the flavors are perfect for a dessert! I like the fruity flavors and the cinnamon flavor of the bread. Nothing to heavy but still fulfilling!

 
Summary:
Ambiance: ★★★
Location: ★★★
Presentation: ★★★
Price: ★★
Taste: ★★★
This place is perfect if you want some quiet place to have a date, some place to have a drink with friends, family dinner or just craving for good Spanish food! The value for money is just a bit tad expensive, around Php 300 per person) but the food is worth it! (And their Sangrias which I am still craving for!!!) You surely won't get it wrong!  
And I suggest that you call ahead, so that you'll have a table for sure!

Their menu:



Calderon cocina tapas y behidas
403 F. Calderon Street
San Juan, Metro Manila
Tel: 238-2264
Mobile: 0926-7279465
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calderon/523587167668639

No comments:

Post a Comment